Family Liaison Officers – the future of family support after NHS incidents?
A Making Families Count Conference – London – Thursday 21 May 2020
Making Families Count is a very special training organisation set up by NHS England South in 2015. All members of Making Families Count (MFC) are recognised as experts in their fields and have either lost family members through traumatic and complex bereavement, patient safety incidents or have worked for many years as patient safety incident investigators. Their inspirational and hard hitting training events for NHS Trusts and healthcare providers make them uniquely qualified to host this conference and explore this subject in a really useful and meaningful way.
There are over 11,000 serious incidents in healthcare each year. Patients and families frequently feel that the NHS does not liaise with them in a supportive and helpful manner after these incidents. This conference focuses on the importance of meaningful family liaison and shares the experiences of different types of Family Liaison Officers who have been in the forefront of establishing their roles in the NHS.
This Making Families Count conference is an opportunity to join your peers, key speakers from the NHS and other sectors to discuss and explore how we can better support families and each other.
- Louise Pye (Head of Family Engagement Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch, NHS Improvement & NHS England)
- Making Families Count healthcare training team including Jan Fowler (retired NHS CEO & Director of Nursing)
- Vicki Robson (ex. Metropolitan Police Family Liaison Office)
- Len Hodkin (Criminal Solicitor – Making Families Count)
- Michelle Barber (Patient & Family Liaison Officer NHS and founder of Family Liaison Officers forum)
- Jenni Carvey (Family Liaison Officer, NHS)
- Resilience and support for investigation staff with John Trevains, Director of Nursing, Therapies and Quality at Gloucestershire NHS Health and Care Foundation Trust.
- Working well and effectively with distressed /angry families with Beverley Dawkins OBE, CEO of Generate
- Achieving successful inclusivity working with families in investigations with Dr Josephine Ocloo (Senior Researcher & Health Foundation Improvement Science Fellow) and Jan Sunman (Making Families Count)
This event is aimed at NHS provider front line staff, medical and nursing directors, quality and safety leads as well as commissioners and those working in social care settings
Date: Thursday 21 May 2020
Venue: Resources for London, 356 Holloway Rd, London N7 6PA